Thursday, February 28, 2008

America circa 1850 onward

Here are some good ideas as we turn our attention to America circa 1850 onward.

For the younger grades, I really like the Steven Kellogg books, (Pecos Bill, Mike Fink, Paul Bunyan, etc.) as well as the excellent books by the D'Aulaires. In the past, we've enjoyed the detail-rich Holling books, but we've yet to read Tree in the Trail, a cowboy story. Old Sam and Brave Buffalo Fighter will make good reading and these childhood biographies will be wonderful.  Jim Weiss's American Tall Tales will warrant a listen, and then there's that really cool movie, Tall Tale!

H/T to Dawn at Sun and Candlelight.

1 comment:

Joannof10 said...

Thank you for the kind comment on my blog. About the photo at the bottom of my blog: this photo was taken on Mother's Day last year. I had just gotten home from the hospital after 5 days following surgery. I was in the recliner and my husband carefully put the babies on me and the other kids gathered around for the photo op.
I don't really care for this photo of me, but my husband loves it-and now- I will always think that it makes me look young.;-)

Also, we are just starting this time period in history-we are using a lot of the same books-except we are reading aloud-Childhood of Famous Americans-Daniel Boone. I thought that this was quite a coincidence!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin